The Cuneo-Limone-Ventimiglia railway and the helicoidal tunnel of Vernante

The line unravels for the entire length of the Vermenagna and Roya valley, thanks to bridges and tunnels dug into the mountain.

Period Nineteenth

Accessibility No

Visitable Yes

The Cuneo – Ventimiglia railway is a marvel of engineering and one of the most daring railway lines in Europe, which is why the route is called the Treno delle Meraviglie (Train of Wonders). The path reaches slopes of 26% to reach a maximum height of 1040 metres a.s.l. at the Colle di Tenda tunnel, on the border between the two states, with a total of 16 stations along the route.

The route is 96 km long and includes 81 tunnels: 45 works of art of considerable importance, 258 smaller ones of less than 10 m light. Among these, the most spectacular is the helicoidal tunnel of Vernante which in about 1500 meters of distance, gains 32 meters of altitude: it is screwed into the rock causing the passenger to lose their “compass”. Then there is the Salet railway bridge with 16 arches, considered a “miracle of engineering, prodigy of calculation and daring”. Added to this are the Tenda tunnel, the Branego tunnel, the Cagnolina tunnel, the Bosseglia tunnel, the tunnels of Riolo, the Biogna tunnel, the Porcarezzo tunnel, the tunnel of Berghe and the Scarassoui pre-stressed reinforced concrete viaduct with its 84 metres of light.

Conditions of visit

The railway line is accessible by using the Cuneo – Ventimiglia trainlines.
It is possible to access the train from all the railway stations of the route (in Val Vermenagna from Borgo San Dalmazzo, Roccavione, Robilante, Vernante, Limone Piemonte).
Visitable during the two existing daily routes.


Additional information


  • AA.VV., Le valli tra i parchi Marguareis e Alpi Marittime. Gesso, Vermenagna, Pesio, territorio della Bisalta, PiĆ¹Eventi 2018, pp.125
  • a cura di Pro Loco Vernante e Comune di Vernante, Vernante, un paese, una storia. La storia di Pinocchio raccontata sui muri delle case di Vernante, Edizioni Martini, Borgo San Dalmazzo, 1991,pp. 40.