In medieval times the town of Borgo San Dalmazzo developed parallel to the Benedictine Abbey of San Dalmazzo reaching a dimension that largely follows the current extension of the old town centre, as evidenced by the location of the ancient gates including that of San Rocco. Within this context, the “ricetto”, which is a fortified structure located in the centre of the town in the area around the civic tower, was developed and conceived as the last defensive bulwark intended for the safekeeping of “valuables” of the agricultural community: agricultural products, livestock, and work tools. The current Piazza IV Novembre was part of this fifteenth-century ricetto (written documentation on the subject dating back to 1463): from here, in a south-eastern direction, you can see the remains of a medieval tower, later incorporated into the housing structures. Only a few parts have survived from the original ricetto, such as the one in via Fantini and in via Bealera Nuova, n.11.
Conditions of visit
Few roads of the old town centre are pedestrian only; however, there are several car parks in the area in front (e.g. Largo Argentera, from Palazzo Bertello, along via Vittorio Veneto).
- A cura di Associazione Culturale Pedo Dalmatia, Pedonando per le strade di Borgo San Dalmazzo tra storia e antiche tradizioni , Edizioni Tecniche, Borgo San Dalmazzo, 2013, pp. 10 11.
- Walter Cesana, Borgo San Dalmazzo, porta delle Alpi marittime. Ambiente, arte, cultura, folklore, tradizioni, curiosità , edizioni tecniche, Robilante, 1997, pp. 20 45.