The brotherhood, founded in 1592, was transferred in 1675 to its new chapel dedicated to ND de la Misericorde and the taking off of Saint-Jean Baptiste, according to the customs in use at the time for the brotherhoods of Black Penitents.
In order to create a plan forecourt between two sloping streets on two different levels, a space has been created in front of the facade.
The very simple classical facade contrasts with the baroque interior decoration.
A cylindrical pseudo-lantern, marked by four pilasters, surmounts a rococo baroque bell tower, whose corner capitals are adorned with cherubim. It is wearing a bulb with glazed tiles. Four “pot-à-feu” (fire pits) are connected to the skylight by spiral fins supporting them.
A narrower choir extends the three-span nave.
The richly decorated baroque altar is at the front of the choir.
The platform that covers the first bay has the particularity of being extended, on either side of the nave, two walkways whose guardrail panels are decorated identically.
The chapel has a Valoncini organ, donated in 1902 by Canon Antonio Guidi, parish priest of Nice.
Following the attachment of Tende to France in 1947, the statutes of the brotherhood were reworked, and it is under French association status, that the members perpetuate the place’s maintenance.