Until the beginning of the 20th century, Libre only had the small Saint-Jean Baptiste chapel for the worship celebration. It is located on the heights of the Church district. The Libre’s priest then convinced the inhabitants to provide land to build a church. It was dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel in 1905.
The elegant classical composition facade of Saint-Michel church presents a set of neo-baroque stucco typical Ligurian heads of angels, scrolls and foliage, medallions petals, friezes, composite capitals, shell…
The bell tower’s dome is covered with glazed tiles, also typical of the Ligurian churches of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Its single nave has a small platform and two chapels in niches at the front of the choir, forming transepts.
Libre’s Church, which was part Piène’s parish, became itself a parish in 1922. It was served by a resident priest until the late 1960s, and then lost its parish status.